Mappleborough Green Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all of our children. We believe that safeguarding against radicalisation and extreme views is no different from safeguarding against any other threat children might face.
On 1 July 2015 the Prevent Duty (Section 26) of The Counter-Terrorism & Security Act 2015 came into force. This duty placed responsibility on local authorities, which includes schools, to have due regard to the need to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism. As part of our commitment to safeguarding and child protection we ensure that we meet all of the statutory obligations outlined in the government’s Prevent Strategy.
All staff, volunteers and pupils are expected to uphold, promote and model the British Values including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs. Staff at Mappleborough Green have completed the government's Prevent training on how to identify radicalisation and extremism. We recognise that we play a vital role in keeping children safe from harm including from the risks of extremism and radicalisation.
As a school we:
- Provide a safe space for pupils to discuss thoughts or issues
- Actively challenge discriminatory or racist comments/behaviour
- Promote the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of all of our pupils
- Ensure that pupils are not exposed to views/material which promotes violent/extreme views of any nature.
Throughout their time at Mappleborough Green our pupils are given a broad range of activities and learning opportunities which enable them to become well-rounded and respectful individuals, who are compassionate, tolerant and are prepared for the next stage of their school life, as well as developing into positive young citizens.
We aim for our pupils to
- Feel safe and secure in our school
- Confidently ask questions which promote critical thinking.
- Learn about other cultures and religions which may differ from their own
- Be inclusive and thoughtful individuals who embrace diversity